Friday, September 09, 2005

What I'm Up To

Because keeping up with PoliBois is not enough work, I started a whole new project! Check it out:

Welcome to Pink Progress.

Pink Progress represents a new adventure. It is a fresh voice. It is the future of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender movement for equal rights. Pink is young, hip and fun. Progress is never reliving history, but understanding it for the purpose of moving forward.

For more than a year, I have made it a point to meet with many young LGBT people who are part of my generation. I have also spent a great deal of time searching for, reading and analyzing articles written about us and by us. I was stunned to hear and read so many similar stories from such a diverse group of young people all across the country.

When I searched for a common thread that ties all of us young LGBT people together, I realized that most of us share a desire to live in a country where we are free to live as we are. Some of us, like students I read about in Boston, are taking direct action in their communities to eliminate discrimination against gay people. Others are quietly telling their stories to friends and family and are succeeding in eliminating the barriers that keep us from living as we truly are by confronting discrimination with a personal story. Still other young LGBT people are confronting discrimination by simply living their lives as they truly are.

I am proud of my generation and the stories I have heard and read about young LGBT people. I soon realized though, not everyone knows the stories that illustrate what my generation stands for. If I had to search for our stories, I know that we need to do a better job at making our voices louder. When I speak to older LGBT people about my generation, many do not understand it or cannot describe it. I realized that my generation needs a place to be loud, a place to share our voices and a place to tell the world our hopes, dreams, ideas and desires. Our stories are just too good and need to be told. Our stories are powerful and need to play a role in shaping the LGBT community and movement.

I am offering Pink Progress as the place where my generation will share our stories. It will be a place where we will share our thoughts. It will also be a place where we will continue to persist and insist that our community make progress towards understanding us and incorporating us in the greater movement for LGBT equal rights.

I invite you to join me in supporting and developing Pink Progress. I also invite anyone in my generation with a story to tell to share it with me and the rest of the world. It is time that the rest of the world gets the opportunity to be as proud of my generation as I am.

Sincerely,
Graham N. Murphy,
Editor

Writers: If you are interested in contributing to Pink Progress and have story to tell, please fill-out this online form.

Pink Progress is currently seeking one-time and regular contributors.

No comments: