Monday, June 26, 2006

Metro Opens Doors Floodgates

Anyone who saw the news and ventured outside in Washington, DC this morning either really needed to get to work or was really stupid. I was stupid and missed the news and tried to get to work. And I was confronted with a hellish commute.

Even though I had the Today Show on in the morning, somehow I missed that God was pissed at DC and flooded it like hell the night before. Those floods made getting to work a f'ed-up dirty mess (and I thought that phrase could only be used to describe my sex life). One commuter's post on Craigslist really summed up the whole experience quite nicely:
Flash forward to seven fuckin' fifty eight in the a-hem and I'm standing outside of the Smithsonian with about two and a half thousand angry black women who, just like me, were already an hour late to work. I didn't have to cuss, kick, yell and scream because them scary ass women did it for me. Common sense would have shuttle buses lined up around the block. Unfortunately, common sense ain't so common, especially to the numb-nutted fuckwits that are employed by the WMATA.

I had a similar experience. My Metro ride to work was cut short two stops before the one I usually get off at to get to work. While there should have been a shuttle bus above ground to take me to my usual spot, when I made it to ground level I found absolute chaos. No one was directing people and I had no idea what bus to get on. I eventually walked an half-hour to work, arriving sweaty and feeling gross.

When I got to work I checked out WaPo online to find out what the hell was going on. While I perused the site I noticed that the interim GM of WMATA was going to be doing an online Q&A later in the afternoon. When the time came around for the Q&A, I submitted my question and it actually got an answer:
Washington, D.C.: After my experience this morning on Metro, I am concerned about how my experience will be if there is an attack on the city or some larger natural disturbance.

When I got off the Metro at Smithsonian for the shuttle bus that was supposed to take me to McPherson Square, I experienced absolute chaos. There were multiple buses and no one was there directing people. People were frustrated and extremely angry. Like many, I gave up on the "shuttle bus" and ended up walking to work. Is this Metro's usual response to these situations?

Dan Tangherlini: This wasn't a usual situation! But I appreciate your criticism, I have heard a number of ideas about how we can do this better and I will work with our team to incorporate them into our next response.

So there you have it folks! Metro is prepared for everything but unusual situations.

Well, that certainly makes me feel better.

No comments: