Friday, April 22, 2005

Jim Crow. Is that who I just sprayed my shorts over???!!!

Civil Unions now in Connecticut? How exciting...

Well excuse me if I don't jump up and down in excitement for this half-measure of decency coming from CT legislators. While some gays may jump for joy over the new seperate and UNequal status in CT, I have to question what the fuss and fanfare is all about.

Did I miss something in history class, or didn't we discover during the 1960's Civil Rights Movement that broke down Jim Crow that "seperate but equal" is a flawed phrase and discriminatory practice? Are we so desperate that we are now clamoring to be second-class citizens? Being and accommodating compromiser is less than pathetic.

But maybe I am looking at it all wrong. Or as HRC puts it: "The Human Rights Campaign praised Connecticut legislators for passing a civil union bill that will offer all the state-level rights and benefits of marriage to same-sex couples and their families."

Right...I guess we forgot to mention the part of the legislation that defines marriage as being between one man and one woman.

Read More...

No comments: